Please remember, gpl-violations.org is a volunteer-based community effort, available for free. Our mailinglists are a forum where this community can meet and share experience and information.
If you are a corporate user (or vendor) interested in professional consulting with regard to GPL licensing questions, you should consult your legal counsel and get in contact with the FSF's GPL Compliance Lab.
This page is a list of our mailinglists. Please read carefully and choose the address whose description matches most closely what you want. By using the right contact address, you will minimize the burden on the project members, and thus minimize the potential delay until you will receive a reply to your inquiry.
gpl-violations.org list rules
You are strongly advised to go through these set of rules before posting to any of the lists.
- Subject Line
- Make sure that your post contains a valid subject line containing a gist of your post rather than things like 'Help!!!', 'HELP ME PLEEEEEASE', 'Urgent Request' or 'Proposal'.
- Do not "top-post/full-quote" (reply to a message by adding text to the top of the message and quoting the full original message), as it loses the reader and the flow of the message and can annoy other readers.
- If you are replying to another message, quote only the portions of that message that you are specifically responding to, and insert your comments after those quotes. Do not simply quote back the entire message! Trim off everything apart from the most relevant lines of the original message.</para> <para>In general, your reply should contain at least as much text as the amount of text you are quoting, if not more. Never quote back dozens of lines of text and simply add a single line of text to the bottom - people will hate you for that!
- HTML Messages
- HTML is not email, and email doesn't contain HTML, so please turn HTML formatting OFF in your email client. We have filters in place that will reject your message if your posting contains HTML. Do not use italics, colors, bold, fonts, pictures, sounds, or other HTML elements. Please use only 7-bit characters when sending email to the lists, with proper quoted printable encoding.
- Message recycling
- Do not start a New message or thread by hitting "Reply" in your mail client and changing the subject. When you do this, you mess up other participant's ability to read mail in a threaded fashion. When you mean to post a new message, use New, and when you want to reply to an existing message, hit Reply.
- Pseudo-legal disclaimers
- Do not attach obnoxious pseudo-legal, nonsensical disclaimers to your messages. People on open source lists do not like to be threatened with these. If your company insists on attaching such disclaimers to messages going out to mailing lists (where, by definition, the sender has NO control over who gets to see the message), then either use a webmail system, or just don't post.
- Stay on-topic for the list. This isn't a good place to discuss automobiles, politics, music, or anything that is not related to GPL violations. Sometimes topics will diverge from the general discussion, but please try to keep it relevant to the list topic. Do not ask usage questions in the discuss list, or vice versa
- Message time and date
- Please make sure the date and time on your computer is always current. When your date is set to something such as the year 2006, messages posted by you will get sorted based on that date, which may put them outside of the related month or year they belong in.
- List Archives
- All messages sent to one of the gpl-violations.org mailinglists will be archived in the mailing list archive. The archives will be accessible for any interested party, and email addresses will not be obscured.
The gpl-violations.org announce mailing list
This mailing list is not really a means of contacting the gpl-violations.org project, but rather a way of the project contacting and informing interested individuals about news related to the project.
This list is very low volume, usually only one message every couple of months.
The gpl-violations.org discussion mailing list
This mailing list is for discussion of technical and legal aspects of current and/or past GPL enforcement action. Please don't post generic questions on the GPL that are not related to any particular case.
- Subscribe/Unsubscribe to/from the discussion mailing list
- Browse the list archive of the discussion mailing list
- Use email@example.com to Send mail to the discussion mailing list